Middle School Programs
High Touch High Tech of Greenville/Spartanburg allows students to discover the realities of science in their everyday lives by providing a hands-on experience that goes beyond the classroom. Middle school students in grades 6-8 can become a real scientist and have fun while learning the fundamentals of Earth & Space Science, Biology, Physics, & even Chemistry! High Touch High Tech program are aligned with National & South Carolina State Standards in Science to address the ever increasing need to meet standards, while helping students build confidence for standardized testing.
High Touch High Tech creates a student-scientist partnership, offering many opportunities for students ranging from direct participation with the professional scientific community, improvement in student attitudes and scientific growth, and offers educators a way to enhance the classroom experience for their students.
Our programs present young teens with problem-solving skills as well as build self-esteem and help establish a positive regard for learning. High Touch High Tech programs provide students with the opportunity to interact with their peers, share ideas and contribute to inquiry based discussions that support the way in which students naturally learn.
"The students were continually engaged and enthusiastic about the material being presented. They were learning without realizing it! It was awesome!"
Mrs. Van Putten Vink, 7th & 8th Grade
The Learning Community School, Black Mountain, NC
In-class workshops offer middle school students a fun, challenging, hands-on introduction to the skills they will need in high school, college, and the workplace. We use materials that are concrete, safe, and relative for the entire class. Conducting an experiment first hand encourages the class to develop their scientific interest and inspires them to learn.
High Touch High Tech programs are centered on the individual student experience! We work with teachers and their staff to develop specialized programs to fit the needs of the class and curriculum
Encourage science discovery in children around the world!
Middle School Programs Include:
- New - Climate Commandos© Students will gain an understanding of how the climate of the earth is changing by preforming some cool experiments. Young scientists will be able to conceptualize environmental occurrences of the Coriolis factor and the gulf stream, and discover how global warming will affect the earth.
- New - DNA Detectives© Using sophisticated DNA forensic techniques, students will have fun as we investigate DNA extractions, touch REAL DNA, explore electrophoresis, and build our very own DNA molecule to eat!
- Chemistry Sensations© Whose turn is it to set the table, the Periodic Table that is! Explore the world of chemical elements. Learn more about atoms, build molecules and more!
- Design Time© Discover amazing architecture. Have fun as we design buildings, bridges and more!
- Globs, Goo & Guts© Roll up your sleeves and make all kinds of icky sticky stuff! Have a hands-on look at real cow guts! Learn the systems of the body.
- Indicator II pH Day© Find out what an indicator is to chemists. Discover the pH scale; learn about acids and bases while using common substances. Mix chemicals and more!
- Matter Matters© Discover all the states of matter including plasma. Explore evaporation rates and liquid densities!
- Edison's Workshop© Explore the amazing world of electricity. Learn what's "current" as you make your very own electroscope and much more! Get all the Hair-Raising facts!
- Cosmic Capers© Travel through space & explore our solar system. Discover how cool the sun really is. Have a real impact, as we become crater makers. Learn about our planets, the moon, eclipses and much more. Enjoy some astronaut ice cream!
- Newton in the Nutshell© Step back in time to the days of Newton. Have a hands-on look at inertia and motion. Discover gravity and have FUN as we push, pull, and get the job done!
- And More!
Marvel at the accomplishments your students will achieve!
$6.50 per student with a $130.00 program minimum for the 60-minute program
**Note: A $20.00 travel fee will apply
Program fees are usually paid by Parents, PTA/PTO or Grant Dollars. Looking for help to fund your next High Touch High Tech workshop?
Click here to see a list of available grants!
Reservations are required.
Frequently Asked Question: Middle School Programs
Q: Can teachers step out of the classroom while the Scientist is facilitating the program?
A: Teachers are requested to remain in the classroom throughout the program. We encourage teachers to participate and rely on their feedback to assist in our efforts to continuously improve upon our FUN and exciting hands on science experiences.
Q: How should I set up my classroom in preparation for the Scientist?
A: Our Scientist and your students will need either desk tops or table tops at which to conduct their hands-on science experiments. We also ask that you have a Chalkboard or Dry Erase board available for use by our Scientist. Note that some programs may require access to water; therefore, access to a sink and tap would also be helpful.
Q: Can I pay for a HTHT in-school field trip with grant dollars that have been awarded to my school?
A: Yes. Many schools pay for their High Touch High Tech programs with grant dollars received via the 21st Century Grant, Eisenhower Grant and several Local & State Grants.
Join in experimentation that challenges student problem solving skills!